Equalized Deductions Are Possible
Apply by the Deadline of June 30, 2018
New Collective Agreement Language: 30.03 Absence without Pay – items not deductible from Sick Leave Credits (Code 3)
Article 30.03 leaves are board approved short term leaves of absence and are processed by the Board for pension purposes. Salary loss for 30.03 leaves will be in accordance with 9.02 for each day of Code 3 absence. Benefits will continue to be paid at the same rate by the Board during Code 3 absences. For absences without pay that are approved by Human Resources, in advance of the school year, the salary deductions will be equalized over the pay periods of the school year provided the request is made in writing by June 30. Up to a maximum of five (5) days per year shall be granted . . .
- Up to 5 unpaid days for personal reasons are available (similar to VLAP)
- Cannot be attached to Christmas or March Break
- May be attached to other holidays (e.g., Easter, Family Day, Victoria Day)
- Leaves will not be unreasonably denied. The Board may feel it is unreasonable to grant a leave during the first week of school, during reporting periods, during EQAO, or because of supply teacher availability.
- For equalized deductions, simply send an email to Sue Taylor email@example.com, cc’d to Dave Henderson firstname.lastname@example.org requesting up to 5 days unpaid leave with equalized deductions under Article 30.03 of the Collective Agreement no later than June 30, 2018.
- You need to state the number of days. The actual dates may be determined later. The Board will respond with a form and a requirement to state the calendar year of the leave days for taxation purposes.
- Once approval is granted, the leave cannot be rescinded. You are committed to taking the number of days requested and granted. The Board will not reverse equalized deductions once begun.
- Give the Board at least 30 days notice of the actual dates. Dates may be changed but not the number of days.
- After June 30th, unpaid leaves will still be granted, but the pay deduction will occur in the pay period(s) of the approved days.