Thinking of Taking Up To 5 days Unpaid Leave in 2020-2021?
Equalized Deductions Are Possible
New Collective Agreement Language: 30.03 Absence without Pay – items not deductible from Sick Leave Credits (Code 3)
Article 30.03 leaves are board approved short term leaves of absence and are processed by the Board for pension purposes. Salary loss for 30.03 leaves will be in accordance with 9.02 for each day of Code 3 absence. Benefits will continue to be paid at the same rate by the Board during Code 3 absences. For absences without pay that are approved by Human Resources, in advance of the school year, the salary deductions will be equalized over the pay periods of the school year provided the request is made in writing by June 30. Up to a maximum of five (5) days per year shall be granted . . .
- Up to 5 unpaid days for personal reasons are available (similar to VLAP)
- Cannot be attached to Christmas or March Break
- May be attached to other holidays (e.g., Easter, Family Day, Victoria Day)
- Leaves will not be unreasonably denied.
- You must make your request known using the link below. You must complete the online form by end of day June 30, 2020.
- You need to state the number of days. The actual dates may be determined later. Once you submit the form, you should receive a confirmation email by the end of July which outlines how to book your days off during the 2020/2021 school year. Deductions will begin on the first pay of the 2020/2021 school year (August 14th, 2020). If you do not receive your confirmation email and/or see a reduction in your pay, please contact Marie Fleury in the Human Resources department immediately.
- Once approval is granted, the leave cannot be rescinded. You are committed to taking the number of days requested and granted. The Board will not reverse equalized deductions once begun.
- Give the Board at least 30 days’ notice of the actual dates. Dates may be changed but not the number of days.
- After June 30th, unpaid leaves will still be granted, but the pay deduction will occur in the pay period(s) of the approved days.
- Due to COVID-19, if traveling outside of Canada you will need to adhere to the Ministry of Health regulations.